Thursday, February 1, 2007

Later Infant Potty Communication Training

When our son was born, my husband did some research on Infant Potty training or elimination communication. He showed me several websites and such. I remember thinking that the concept was really interesting, but sounded quite messy to me. It probably works- the concept makes sense, but it was just a little too adventurous for me. They propose that there is a prime age at about 5 months give or take where you can start the program. This is an age where infants are able to release on command, but cannot withhold. My son would probably have been a great candidate as he peed on us every time we took off his diaper at 5-6 months. They also propose that training infants later is generally less successful. WEll, I have good news. There's hope for those of us who aren't adventurous enough for the first window of opportunity.

My son who is now 15.5 months old has been requesting to go to the restroom when he needs to for the past couple of weeks!!! Shocked, ya, me too. I really wasn't expecting him to figure it out until about 2.5 years or so. So, how is this happening. I'll tell ya the story. You can try it out. If it works for you, my only request, is that you give me credit for sharing the info and write back. I want to see if this works more universally.

No comments: